Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Clash of Cultures, In a Good Way

Inspired by a deep conversation with my mother over Skype. I thought you would all find it interesting the new neighbors and friends I have met since I've been in Geneva. Webster in Europe caters to a different crowd than in the States. Many of the students are sons and daughters of ambassadors, royalty, and even one of the fourteen judges at The Hague! (his son coincidentally failed International Law... so I guess he didn't take after his father's footsteps)

On my floor alone here in Geneva, there are students from Peru, Libya, Bahrain, Lebanon, Germany, Britain, Nigeria, South Africa, Trinidad, America, and a few other nationalities. Most of us share a community kitchen which happens to be where I've had some of my favorite conversations and meals :) including Afghani tea, Nigerian spicy chicken and Lebanese deserts. It is definitely a clash of cultures, but in this setting there are no wars, only new friendships over loose-leaf tea and baklavah.

My new friend Ayoob from Afghanistan, has opened my eyes to a different way of thought. He is a fullbright scholar and ex-Afghan soldier. His English is amazing and has spent almost a year in Northern California for studies. His story is amazing... One of his brothers was killed fighting the Soviets years ago and he still carries his Koran with him. I've heard his stories of the wars he's fought and the pride he takes in being a soldier. His Muslim beliefs give him a different view of women where women can do no wrong and a man should never say no to her. (this is my understanding, not Islamic law) His ideas for Afghanistan's development are much different than that of Obama's plan, hopefully we can get it right. I've realized that even if I don't agree with everything he says and believes in, I can learn a lot from listening to him as well as enjoy a new friendship.

My neighbor is a member of the royal family in Bahrain, Al Khalifa. She is actually one of two members of the family in the building.

Agada, my Nigerian neighbor has told of his father's four wives and family of over one hundred people. We asked him if he wanted four wives and didn't think it would be a good idea with this economy the way it is right now.

I've been exposed to Italian superstitions, Mexican music, French films, Romanian dances, Balkan slang, South African tea, Czech folklore and countless other experiences and firsts. I wish every one could have these conversations that open you up to another part of the world. It truly changes perspectives on what it means to be an American, a Catholic, and anything else you thought didn't need to be questioned.

Here are some pictures of my amazing new friends

Girls with Vlad, our Romanian Dance Coach!

A night out in Vienna with my Balkan loves :)

Halloween! (An American holiday, but we found the other ex-pats in Geneva!)

King's Arms in Old Town, Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment